Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Domino’s Pizza teams up with “Pennies” the electronic charity box

November 8, 2010 by Tony  
Filed under All News, Domino's Pizza, General News

Domino’s Pizza will become the first UK retailer to team up with the electronic charity box, Pennies, when the system goes live from today.

Online customers of Domino’s will now have the opportunity to round up the cost of their order to the nearest pound, with the pennies being donated to charity. Donations of a minimum of 1p to a maximum of 99p can be made via the new online concept.

It is thought the new Pennies system has the potential to transform mainstream giving in the UK. The people behind the new electronic charity box concept estimate that if every UK cardholder donated 8p a week, this would result in £89 million being collected for charity every year.

Domino’s has decided to donate 75% of the funds collected via Pennies to the UK’s Special Olympics, with the remaining 25% being shared between Macmillan Cancer Support, NCPCC, and the Prince’s Trust.

The new Pennies system uses technology developed by STS and YESpay. The idea behind the new scheme is to make charitable giving convenient and affordable to all by offering a private means by which to make a donation.

It is hoped Pennies will have a positive impact on charitable donations as a recent survey revealed that 63% of people said they’d be more likely to donate to charity if there was a system in place such as the Pennies concept.

Domino’s Pizza is the first UK retailer to offer this service, with another major brand looking to introduce Pennies by the beginning of 2011.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!